Friday, May 18, 2007

10 POLITE WAYS TO SAY "NO"

Do demanding coworkers make your day miserable with one request after another? To keep your sanity (not to mention your money and maybe even your job) there comes a time when you need to stand firm and deny their requests.
Here are ten typical requests and the ways to politely say "no" loud and clear.

1. If someone asks you to contribute to another office gift fund, you can say, "No, I'm going to give a gift on my own."

2. If a coworker asks you for a loan until payday, you can say, "My heart say yes, but my bankbook say no, no, no."

3. If a colleague asks you to work late, you can say, "Sorry, I'm busy tonight. Let me see if I can find someone else to help you."

4. If a coworker asks you to tell the boss a "little white lie," you can say, "That's a very bad idea. The answer is no."

5. If a coworker asks you to vouch for his or her attendance at a meeting you can say, "That would be a big mistake for both of us. The answer is no."

6. If a coworker asks you to complain to your boss you can say, "No, I don’t have a problem with him and don't want to take sides. You'll need to work out the problem between the two of you, or ask our boss to mediate."

7. If a coworker pressures you to organize an office party, you can say, "No, I'm sorry but I can't. I'm just too busy."

8. If an office colleague asks you out on a date, and you’d rather not go, you can say, "I appreciate the invitation, but no thanks."

9. If someone at work asks you to hire a friend for a job instead of a more qualified applicant, you can say, "No, I can’t do that."

10. If a coworker asks you to help out with a project that you don’t have time for, you can say something like, "No I can't help. Maybe you can ask the boss for some extra help."

For more information about Don Gabor’s books, tapes, workshops and coaching, please contact him at 718-768-024 or visit his website at www.dongabor.com

BOOKS BY DON GABOR

How to Start a Conversation and Make Friends
(Recognize 4 conversation styles, remember names)
CLICK ON GABOR 1
Gabor 1

Speaking Your Mind in 101 Difficult Situations
CLICK ON GABOR 4
Gabor 4

Words that Win
CLICK ON GABOR 2
Gabor 2

How to talk to the People you Love
CLICK ON GABOR 3
Gabor 3

No comments: